FEB 09, 2021 by RAFAEL ALEMÁN
Have you ever heard of mold? Spots you might have seen on the backyard wall or in the bathroom, maybe inside the kitchen counters or inside the closet. It’s a form of fungi, very common in buildings, especially in spaces where there’s moisture.
Broken pipes, flooding, and overall, any place where water might have been present, represents a suitable space for mold to grow. Also during fall and wintertime, when humidity levels are higher. Mold can grow in indoor and outdoor environments. It can grow in almost every surface you can think of: fabric, paper, wood, plastic… even glass! If you think of any surface of your home or building, that is a place where mold can grow and cause damage.
Now, you’ve probably heard or seen mold in food. It’s the greatest reference to identify the fact that it is decomposing. Take for instance: a piece of bread. After a few days out of the fridge or kitchen cabinet, you can see those green and yellow spots. Easily visible and detectable, you are certain that you cannot eat that bread.
Mold in houses and other living spaces is more difficult to detect. You probably won’t know that you have a mold infection unless you see spots, black rings, or discoloration around the surface affected.
Here are 4 signs your house or property might be facing a mold infection. Mold can cause a variety of symptoms that can put your life at risk, if not treated and attacked professionally.
STAINS ON WALLS AND BUILDING STRUCTURES
Mold spores can grow in spaces where water has been around. Water damage and mold usually go together, and they can cause severe structural damage to buildings. Any place in presence of moisture is a place where mold can grow.
Mold stains can have many appearances, going from small dots or discoloration in the surface where they’re growing, to medium and large spots and black rings in a variety of colors. You should always turn to a professional when it comes to mold detection. Bio-One specializes in mold remediation, using top-quality and safety equipment to ensure a disinfected area for you and your loved ones.
If you find yourself using a lot of air freshener or scent candles recently, your house or business property might be facing a mold infection. It’s usually a musty smell… like a smelly pair of wet socks or clothing.
The growth and dissemination of fungi in water-damaged buildings result in the production of certain toxins that may be responsible for many negative health effects on human beings. Many types of mold can grow in indoor environments, but only a small number of them generate concern in terms of health risk.
Certain species of mold are capable of produce a class of compounds known as mycotoxins. It’s a group of metabolic byproducts produced by a variety of molds growing in organic and humid, damp environments.
While several factors influence mold growth and dissemination (moisture, lighting, and temperature) of mold, it’s clear that being in the presence of these environments can result in a variety of adverse health effects, such as chronic coughing, immune deficiency, and other pathologies.
If you feel better outside the property you spend the most time on (home, work, other places) and you tend to feel sick while you’re at it, you have to evaluate the possibility of having mold damage.
If your house or business is infected with mold, chances are you will be dealing with allergies and even asthma. Many people suffer from allergies and it’s difficult enough to endure it while also suffering from other pathologies related to the respiratory system.
Asthma and mold are a terrible combination for the health of minors. A study conducted by the Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology found that when a newborn (less than a year old) is exposed to mold, chances are likely that the child will suffer from asthma by the time he or she is seven years old and forward.
Mold can irritate the eyes and develop eye infections like keratitis and conjunctivitis. If you never suffered from allergies or asthma before, it’s another reason to search for mold in your property and have a specialized Team like Bio-One to remediate it!
The presence of mold inside your property can lead to many illnesses and infections. For example, black mold can create a disease in humans called Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, also called CIRS, and very popularly known as “mold illness”. It’s difficult to diagnose because you wouldn’t think of a mold infection being related to your health, but it is!
Also, noticing weird rashes on your skin is usually a sign of a mold infection issue. Please avoid scratching at all costs! Exposing skin increases the risk of getting more infections. Bio-One uses the best equipment to treat areas infested with mold, guaranteeing a safe environment for you and your loved ones.
It has been generally recognized in environmental health and industrial hygiene fields that the predominance of toxigenic mold in water-damaged buildings is consistently associated with occupant health complaints. According to BioTerra, there are six types of toxic mold that can be lurking in indoor spaces:
Don’t hesitate to visit your doctor if you feel any of the symptoms we’ve listed above. If your house or business needs mold disinfection, let Bio-One take care of you. We offer top-quality mold disinfection services, we will evaluate the level of contamination and provide you with the best solution for you and your loved ones.
From a structural standpoint, mold can cause severe damage to your house or business property. Something that characterizes mold is the fact that it can digest the material it’s growing on, so it’s important to consider fixing any mold infection as soon as you notice it.
Now, from a health standpoint, it’s about preserving your life and the life of the people around you. Mold can transmit severe contamination and mycotoxins into our body and the remediation process can be challenging if not handled promptly.
Give us a call Bio-One at 760-429-0729 and let us help you! We are available 24/7, 365 days a year.